I am pleased to report excellent growth of the tomato plants. On the other hand, the Okura plants (second row from the front) are a bit of a worry; they have not been growing as well as I expected. I possibly need to change the organic fertilizer.
Here is a photo showing the overall view of the main veggie patch. Compare with the photo in the previous post. The plants growing adjacent to the wall have shown generally satisfactory growth. Today, I removed weeds and added organic fertilizer to all the plants. This will likely spur the growth. Also removed the new side-growth of branches in tomato plants so that growth is directed vertically.
I laid newspapers all around to prevent growth of weeds adjacent to the stone fencing. Also made holes in a plastic sheet and laid it from the top of the two strawberry plants so that the fruits don’t touch the soil. The experimental strawberry plants are a success – I hope to grow rows of them next year and plant them earlier — some time in February rather than in April.
The green peppers (shishito) have already started appearing. Within a week I hope to harvest the first of the green peppers. I have found that they taste great when you fry them lightly in butter, together with salt and pepper. Here is the first green pepper of the season.
The horse beans have also started appearing after initially being taken over by insects. The bean points skyward and hence it is named “soramame” in Japanese (sora meaning sky, mame meaning bean). I intend to plant this earlier and use the organic pest killer at when the plants are small. Since this was the first time I planted horse beans, a very good learning experience for me.
I’m very pleased with the growth of the tomato plants (mini-tomato). They have shot up straight and tall within a fortnight and the first tomatoes are already visible. I hope to have a good harvest this year. Since the branches should get entangled with the netting, the tomato plants do not need additional stake supports. Here is a photo of the tomato plants.
The eggplants by the side of the wall are doing well too. I need to find a way to keep of small black insects that make small holes in the leaves. I did spray an organic fluid, but it did not prove to be very effective.
Generally, pleased with the progress of the patch, though disappointed with the growth of the Okura. More next week.
Happy gardening and have a great day!